Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Thought I'd share how I make my Cauliflower "Fried Rice."  Took a while to get the rice texture right.

For the 'rice' I take a full large head of cauliflower and break it up into good sized chunks.  Then into a steam pot over cold water with the lid on.  Bring to boiling and but don't let the cauliflower get too soft.  You want it fairly al-dente. (Actually I only let it just warm through - enough to take the crunch off.)  I have found that steaming it this way is the best as it doesn't get too wet. 

Once 'al-dente' take off the heat and remove the lid.  Let cool as long as possible.  The steam coming off seems to evaporate any excess moisture.  If I am in a hurry I blot the pieces with a paper towel while they are still warm.

Then into a food proccessor with a shredder do-hickey.  This is basically the 'rice' part.  You can store it like this in the fridge if you want to use it for different things.  I just fry up the whole lot though because at the moment I'm eating it morning, noon and night. 

For the frying part, heat a small amount of oil in a frypan - just a small amount, you can always add more later.  I use a combination of canola and olive oil.  Now the fun stuff - add whatever you want.  I try to bulk mine up with a lot of carb and sugar free items so I only really have to count the cauliflower carbs.  So... salami, shrimp, egg, chicken, beef, sausage, etc... yummmmmoooo as Rachael Ray would say!  And of course salt and pepper to season.  My last trick is to pour a couple of Tsp of dry vinegar in.  This is the key as far as I'm concerned - it really gives it a good taste.  (Also, when I used to make real fried rice that was my trick.) 

The longer it 'frys' the better - I like it when it starts getting a few brown crunchy bits in it.

As mentioned this is my favorite at the moment - but my hubby and 5 year old eat it happily too.  The boy pretends its a treasure hunt and goes a-searching for treasure!

Hope that all makes sense.  I know you can find loads of recipes out there but it's always fun to share.

xx  

1 comment:

  1. I just made this a few weeks ago, and wanted to let you know that this is AWESOME! The boys asked what I made (I think they thought is was the real thing) and were disappointed when I told them what it was. It's OK - more for me! I love this, and wish I had cauliflower at Costco so that I could make it all the time. Yum! I like to keep the 'stuff' separated on the top, though. Maybe next time I'll mix it all in. MMM.

    ReplyDelete