So I thought I should share a little bit about me for this post. I was born in Michigan, spent 6 of the most memorable years of my life in tiny town of 200 in North Dakota and moved to New Zealand when I was 10. Ecstatically happily married for nearly 8 years. Have a awesome 5 year old son (this Saturday is his 5th birthday and I haven't bought a single present :-o !!!). We are a Christian family. I work one day a week in the office and do the rest of my part time hours from home. I know... great lifestyle huh???!!!
As mentioned only slightly in earlier posts I have a small obsession with stuffing my face. :-) But I am working on that. I don't know what caused it for sure but it started once I moved out of home and got married. In saying that I didn't really pile on the pounds until AFTER my son was born. I thought I'd be this super fit, crazy energetic, fun Mom but it kinda turned out the opposite. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a Mom, I ADORE my son and we have lots of fun. I think I had kinda been one of those young girls that lived to be a wife and mother one day. It was all I looked forward too. Then when it happened maybe I felt I didn't live up to my own expectations. Maybe I have even suffered a little depression here and there. I just let things get out of hand in my head and turned to eating for comfort. Anyways, long story short I now have at least 10kgs (22lbs) to get rid of. And I will do it!
So enough of the history - on to the present! I'm still on the exercise wagon. I did Zumba Sculpt and Tone (45mins) twice yesterday!! Yay me. :-) Trick is to do something tonight too - hubby has a business meeting to go to late tonight and I usually like to slack off, have some "me time" and watch Desperate Housewives after the boy is in bed!!! Funny how I hate it when hubby has to work late or be out in the evening/on the weekend but at the same time I relish the couple hours of peace. Is that bad?? hehe. All that said, I need to exercise tonight!!! I know if I don't keep up consistently I will struggle to pick it up again. So I'm writing here IN MY BLOG that TONIGHT I WILL EXERCISE. Hold me accountable ok??
xx
I've heard New Zealand is a lovely place to live. Do you miss living in the US? Would you move back if you had the option to?
ReplyDeleteLife is tough over all. I think we all treasure our alone time no matter how much we love our spouse and kids. I have been very happily married for 20 years and our relationship/marriage gets better every year, but I still love my alone time and so does he. We also love our time together as well; it's a good balance all around. So, from my experience, it doesn't automatically indicate that it's an unhealthy thing. I guess I'm just saying not to be too hard on yourself that you're not the wife/mom you imagined yourself to be. I think we all have the tendency to imagine things differently in our mind, but the reality is, we are who we are and we have to work with that, and improve ourselves as much as we are realistically able to.
Also, our health can have a big impact on how we feel and interact with life around us. Before I figured out my food intolerances, especially to gluten, I had really bad depression that I was on medication for. Once I figured out I had a problem with gluten and removed it from my diet, my depression completely disappeared and I haven't had to take medication since. So, if your gut instinct tells you that something's not right and you really don't feel like you're the person you should be, your sense that something is just not right (if you do feel that way) could be related to food intolerances that you don't realize you have. It's just something to consider as it is something that is a real problem for many people.
Wow Minichick, what a lovely post. Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement.
DeleteNew Zealand is beautiful. Do I miss living in the US? Yes, it certainly holds a very special place in my heart. Also, my grandparents and extended family are all in the US so I really miss them. It's soooo expensive to fly back - haven't been since 2003! And that was for a very somber short 10 day trip as my great grandmother was very ill and dying. Would I move back? I would never say never but right now it's not in our plans. We own a lovely little place here and are very settled at this point in our lives. Both of my parents currently live here (and of course hubbys family) and I'm one of those that would like, if we are so blessed, to have my child (hopefully children) grow up in the same house. And I hate change. In saying that, I have nothing against travel and one day when we have a bit more dosh in our pockets I would love to go home for an extended visit. It pains me somewhat that my living very young grandparents (they had my Dad very young) have not met their grandson-in-law (is that the right term) or their great grandchild. Last year I lost my grandmother to ALS (motor neurone disease - it's horrible) and I found it quite hard knowing my lil dude never got to meet her in this life.
Thanks for the tips on food intolerances. Funny I think I need gluten in my life - I was very committed to Atkins for 1.5 yrs before falling off the wagon. Lost a lot of weight, ate very healthy, lean proteins, limited dairy, heaps of veges and berries. But had horrible problems with my skin and hormones. Since incorporating some whole grains back in with BFC my skin has cleared right up (touch wood - don't wanna jinx! hehe) and I feel more energised. Could be a combination of things but that was my first thought. I'm feeling quite good at the moment but trying to figure out why I was soooo good for 1.5yrs and then started having food addict/binge problems and gaining weight. Kinda freaks me out - and I want to figure it out so I don't do it again you know!!??
xx
Yeah, you'll just have to play around with your food some and see if any change makes a difference. Depending on how low your carbs were, it could be that you were not getting enough carbs to make you feel well, not that you weren't eating grains/gluten. I just highlight the grains and dairy because those seem to be the most common food culprits. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
DeleteWell hello fellow Michigander. Did I ever say that is where I grew up also and I've been here in Southern California since I was 21 and am now 53.
ReplyDeleteI know how quickly the lbs can catch up with you when you're not paying attention. Hey If I can do 90 - you for sure can do 22. I know you can.
Have a great day :-)
Hello! :-)
DeleteI think it's just awesome that you've managed to stay in Southern California for 32 years. I haven't had the pleasure of going there but my grandparents had a summer apartment in California. They lived in Arizona and found the heat too much in the summer so they would head up there for 3 months of the year. Always wish I'd taken up the offer to go stay with them for a summer!!
Hehe my 70 originally lost plus my new 22 will put me up to 90 with you!! Shhh I'm not gonna subtract the 22 gained - think I will just tell people I have lost 90!! Even if you have to do it again and again it all adds up right?? Hehe no sorry I'm in a silly mood. I know I can do 22. Gonna stick to my guns, eat right, exercise, be happy and healthy!!
xx