Ok so I know I'm really new to the whole world of blogging but I have found a few things to be unsettling. Since I started blogging just 2 weeks ago I have seen not one but two bloggers I have great respect for (and have been following for some time before starting my own blogging journey) set back. One for a couple of days appearing to never want to blog again (to the reader's eyes anyway) and another limiting themselves to once a week. I just want to have my say here. And please note this has nothing to do with the lovely girls blogging but the 'bullying/peer pressure' that we still have to somehow overcome as adults.
When I was young I loved the new fangled technology of 'chat rooms' - you would find me there every other night just chatting about everything from the new awesome chapstick (yes I'm a material girl!), to the movie I just saw, or the secret crush I had and how I would ever get over my feelings.... All this was done anonymously as I 'feel' things people say/write very personally, yet I wanted and craved the support, attention and love. I had a blast - but occasionally people would react to something I said in a way that hurt. Just google a question (any question) and see if you don't find 1/3 of the comments to be nasty and bullying. I have never before trying out blogging, dared to ask anything online or post anything online for fear of comebacks. Maybe that makes me the shallow one but I was born sensitive and my instinct is to AVOID confrontation at all costs. Even now, though I have a facebook page, I only use it to post photos for family overseas and see what everyone else is up to. I very rarely post myself. So this whole blogging thing is a huge step/risk for me!
I don't really know where I'm going with this except maybe to say what I want out of this blog and how I hope I come across ok and nice the few times I do reply to people here and on their blogs. It is my only intention.
I see a blog as a diary of sorts. My blog, while personal is opened up to who ever wants to read it. But I hope you will treat it with respect.
When I am reading someone else's blog it is a privilege and not the place for me to criticize or get my own issues out on someone else's blog. They have allowed me into their life - to share the joys, successes, failures and sadness. When I pick up a biography at the library I don't write the author when I've finished and say "Man.... your book really got me down. Sorry you were a drug addict, sexually abused and depressed but dude why can't you shed some sunshine on me." It is my choice to follow who I do and if I get to the point that I don't like what someone is saying then maybe (revolutionary thought here) I just shouldn't read the post!!!
I hope you understand where I'm coming from and what I'm trying to say. I think y'all are awesome.
xx
You know I totally get what you are saying. Blog about whatever you want and we will be here to support and cheer you on.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day :-)
**hugs** Thanks Rosalie! Ditto to you! xx
DeleteWow I hear what you are saying. I hardly ever post anything on fb and I mostly use it to see pics of my friends kids. I agree with Rosalie blog about whatever you want and we are here to support you, any criticsm is meant to be constructive and to help not to tear you down. If you do want to stop blogging that is ok too...no judgement. Big hugs to you :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Katie. :-) I just hate to see people get hurt. It's really more about what's been going on in the blog community that we are part of that's concerning me. I call myself a "bit of a rambler" and it freaks me out that someone might take what I say the wrong way or think I am too stuck in my ways to hear others. The fact that I can speak the 'noise in my head' as Steven Tyler would call it is the reason I love blogging so far. Like I said I don't like confrontation and seeing other people here go through sh** hurts me too. We are all here with the same purpose in mind and we should nurture that. Sorry... rambling again!! :-) Thanks for the hugs. xx
DeleteBrittney, this sort of behavior is rare in our little group. I really don't think you need to worry that this type of thing is going to happen again anytime soon. We all have great respect for each other/each other's blog, and where we are all at with our "diet" and figuring out what works best for ourselves. I am so glad you joined us and hate to see you feel unsettled by all of this. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteHey! Like I mentioned on another post, for some reason I didn't get your blog on my blogger dashboard, and so I didn't see that you posted this. I hope that you aren't hiding from blogging b/c you are afraid of backlash! I think that the bad comments are very few, especially in a group as small as ours. The only bad comments I've seen on any blog so far are on the blogs who have 100's or 1000's of subscribers - you are bound to get some rotten commenters with that amount of people. I've personally never had any (knock on wood) bad comments on my blog so far. I hope you are doing well on your BFC journey! :)
ReplyDelete