Sunday, 29 April 2012

Wow did the weekend sure fly by.  Our gorgeous boy turned 5 on Saturday so we pretty much had a full 3 days of celebrations!  Fun fun fun.  Can't believe he's growing up so fast.  Scares me sometimes!! 

Diet is going OK.  Weighed Saturday morning and no loss no gain so I guess I'm happy about that.  But I'm going to really kick into gear this week.  In saying that I am going to lay back on the food journaling just a little bit.  I am finding that whatever is going on in my head right now is causing a bit of a obsession.  I get too consumed with what I'm eating, what I'm going to eat, what I wish I could be eating... the mind of a food addict.  And if I cheat!!!  Oh no, the world has ended and the day is ruined.  So right now I am cutting way back on carbs and grains, bulking up on veggies, enjoying lean proteins and a coffee and piece or two of dark choco at night.  In other words I am pretty much doing fast track or back to atkins induction until I feel back on track.  I am also gonna do my best to keep up the zumba - managed to do it 5 times last week!  whoo hoo.

I am turning 30 in 3 weeks and would really like to lose as much as possible (in a healthy way of course) before then.  I don't want to feel like I do at the moment - fat, frumpy, puffy, icky, blah.... hehe it's not really that bad but I certainly have moments where I feel like that.

Have attached some photos of the celebrations for y'all.  Hope everyone is well - I have a lot of catching up to do this week in blog city.

xx

**This one is from the Easter Show a few weeks ago - thought I should put a pic of me in...




  ** Daddy and boy playing mini golf on a pirate ship!!
 **Bowling - look it's right down the middle!!










** Cake!! I only had a little piece... honest.... :-)


8 comments:

  1. Please read this...

    http://www.beingprimal.com/paleo-that-lasts-successful-habits-of-the-primal-elite

    The primal/paleo way of eating is essentially the same thing as Fast Track, so don't let the name throw you off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to mention that I agree with you about the journaling if it's actually counter-productive for you. Every tool you use should help you get to your goal. I feel the same way about the scale. Some people actually do better weighing every day because it keeps them on track and they don't allow the scale to determine their mood for the day. Others are controlled by the scale and allow it to determine how they feel for the day, or about themselves, and for them I don't think it's good for them to weigh often.

    If journaling doesn't work for you, then don't do it, especially if it's just because another person suggested it; it may work for them, but it doesn't mean it will work for you. Focus on how different foods make you feel, and which are trigger foods for you. Weigh yourself if you want, but just remember that it's only a gauge and not always a true picture of where you are at the moment because of all the variables (hormones, bloating, etc.), but any gain can at least keep you alert with your eating and make sure that your food is not the contributing factor. Use the knowledge you gain along the way as a tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to feel like I have Rosalie's "middle-heimers" syndrome. :)

    Something else I forgot to mention. I don't journal as long as I'm losing, but I'll track my food if I'm gaining or on a true plateau just so I can try to pinpoint what's causing me the problem, especially if it's not obvious. Once I get the kinks ironed out, and I'm losing again, I go back to not tracking my food again. Sometimes it is helpful, like I said, as a tool when needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply below - I always forget the reply button and just start typing in the comments! :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks Minichick for all the great advice. I pretty much lived the "primal/paleo" way of life for 1.5 years it was just under the Atkins name. Did extremely well, got to my goal weight really quickly (70lbs within 6 months), kept it off for a year then just crashed out. I started "cheating" and falling back into old habits. I had a pity party for myself for a while and the scales crept up over 6 months. My head says "booo hooo poor me, why can't I have cake and ice cream once in a while like everyone else." Stupid head! My heart knows the truth. I really feel like it's an addiction - if I stay clear of the carbs and sugar I feel great and strong - one lil 'whiff' though and I inhale everything in site. Sounds funny but in real life it's sooo not. I know I can do it again - it's just about getting that mind and body in sync again. Thanks for the wonderful support. It really helps! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the article is not primarily about primal/paleo eating, but about the mental frame of mind that creates success when we make a change in how we eat. He just happens to eat primal/paleo. It could apply to any "diet" that a person follows.

      I have moments when I get mad about not being able to eat whatever I want without gaining weight. It can be VERY frustrating, but it's our reality. It also keeps us healthy. If I didn't have to watch what I eat, I'm afraid that I would be an unhealthy thin person, and that's not good. Being healthy is the most important aspect of this journey, so in that sense it's a blessing that my health forces me to eat healthy.

      Are planned treats an option for you, or does that still cause uncontrolled eating for you?

      Delete
    2. Oh I will definitely have a read. Hope you didn't think I was trying to slag off or ignore the link, was just rambling like usual. :-) It really is that frame of mind that makes you or breaks you isn't it. I get mad too about not being able to eat whatever I want - actually I think it's more of a 'feel sorry for myself' situation. I know that this lifestyle is what works for my body - whether I like it or not it's how I'm made up. (And believe me when I say I've tried everything else out there...)
      Planned treats... yummm... well early on when I was doing fantastically amazing I had a treat day once every two weeks. That went well for a long time. Right now though I don't seem to be able to break away at all without freaking out. So I think for a undecided amount of time I just have to resolve to stick as closely as possible to allowed foods and ban all else. Until my head clears... hehe

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I did think you were saying you didn't need it because you thought it was talking about the diet itself, and having done Atkins it wouldn't be a new concept to you.

    I'm glad you will be reading it. Yes, I definitely think the mental aspect of weight loss is the largest aspect of changing our relationship with food.

    I hear you about feeling sorry for yourself. Mine is a mixture of angry feeling sorry for myself, not simply feeling sorry for myself. I think because my husband and kids can eat anything and don't gain weight. That being in my face everyday wears me down sometimes and I get frustrated. Then, I get my head back on straight, accept my situation for what it is, health issues and all, and continue to move forward.

    Also, I have a mental weight loss link at the top of my blog that might be helpful to you if you haven't seen it already.

    ReplyDelete